Hello Blogland - in case you have been on vacation in a world with no internet, or hiding under a rock; let me introduce you to The Real Deal Jeans - part of the Women's collection here at WWD.
The Real Deal Jeans released back in 2015, but have now been updated with layers and newly formatted instructions as a 2018 Revival Pattern.
Now the pattern is a straight leg design - I went with a straight leg for two reasons. 1) There were already a few skinnies available on the market, and 2)I feel that a straight leg is the most versatile for varying body shapes and for being able to adapt to different styles.
Today, I am sharing a quick tutorial from my amazing tester, Emily, who adapted her RDJ into skinnies.
- First, sew up your pattern all the way until you are about to attach the waistband.
- Now, try on the pants inside out.
- Using straight pins or safety pins, mark from mid thigh down to the hem along the outseam. You want to make sure that you are following the curves of your leg, but don't pin so snugly that you can't comfortably move. Make sure to mark where you want the bottom of your hem to be as well. *Skinny jeans are typically hemmed just below the ankle bone.
- Take the pants off and lay them on your cutting surface.
- Using a straight edge and a marking utensil, follow the line of your pins to create a sewing line and hem line.
- Cut your jeans 1.5 inches below your hem line.
- Stitch along your new outseam marking line and trim off your excess fabric.
- Hem the bottom of your jeans as described in the pattern.
- Finish up the waistband and fall in love with your new skinnies!!!!